The House Project Hotels

Nafplion the capital of the Prefecture of Argolida at South Greece, lies at the heart of Argolikos Bay. It is a small town that combines the contemporary with the traditional in pure harmony.

In the heart of the city stands the magnificent ”Old Town” one of the most well preserved Greek towns. Wander around the cobblestone alleys, with the venetian and neoclassical buildings, explore the unique sightseeings where you can lose oneself in the Aroma of History. Indulge yourselves to a coffee, a snack, or a cocktail at one of the cozy cafes or bistros and enjoy the Chroma of tranquility.

 

Exploring the town – must see landmarks –

 

St. Spyridon Church.

In 1702, during the years of the second Venetian rule, the church of St. Spyridon was erected. Just a few steps from the hotel, right outside the entrance of St. Spyridon unfolded one of the darkest pages of Modern Greek History. There on the morning of September 27, 1831, Ioannis Kapodistrias – the first Greek governor – was assassinated.

Syntagma square and the Archaeological museum.

Imposing buildings of historical significance surround the square. The Fleet’s Venetian Warehouse, the Vouleftiko which used to be the mosque of Agas Pschas and of course the Archaeological museum where one can view ancient artifacts and exhibits as far as the early Mycenaic times.

St George’s Church.

The metropolis church of Nafplio built in different time periods and under different religious influences. At the oldest part of the church one can see at the ceiling an extraordinary fresco, which depicts Da Vinci’s ”Last Supper”.

Bourtzi Fort.

The island castle overlooking the port of Nafplio. It was built in 1473 by the Venetians and it was connected to the main land by a huge chain in order to protect the port from the enemies.

 

First to all.

Indications of the birth of Greece’s new state are evident all around town. You can walk to the first parliament, first School, first Pharmacy, first Military Academy (War Museum now).

Places of interest in Nafplio

  • The Archaeological museum

  • The War museum

  • The Folklore museum

  • The “V. Papantoniou” Peloponnesian Folklore Foundation (PFF)

  • The annex of the National Art Gallery

  • The library annex of Harvard’s department for Greek Studies

  • Palamidi castle

  • Bourtzi castle

  • Akronafplia peninsula

  • Syntagma square

  • The Square of the Three Admirals where the burial monument of Dimitris Ipsilinatis is located

  • Kolokotronis park where it features the monument of the general created by L. Sohos

  • The park of the Greek Railway Organization which marks the end and the beginning of the historic center of Nafplion.

  • The church of St. Spiridon

  • The church of St. Georgios

  • The church of the Birth of Virgin Mary built in the 15th c. with archives of the baptisms performed during the 19th century

  • The Lion of the Bavarians near the Pronia settlement

  • The Gate of the Land which at one point was the only entrance to the lower city by land

  • The Great Road

  • Psaromahalas, meaning the quarter of the fishermen

 

Archeological sites in Argolida

  • Sanctuary of Asklepios at Epidaurus – World Heritage Monument by Unesco

  • Archeological site of Mycenae – World Heritage Monument by Unesco

  • Tiryns – World Heritage Monument by Unesco

  • Mycenaean Akropolis of Midea

  • Dendron Mycenaean Cemetery

  • Ancient Asini

 

Beaches

  • Arvanitia beach – walking distance –

  • Neraki beach – access only on foot or by bike, as it is located in the middle of the coastal trail that connects Karathona and Arvanitia

  • Karathona beach – accessible by car, with plenty of parking space

  • Tolo beach –accessible by car

  • Ancient Asini’s beach –accessible by car

  • Kastraki beach –accessible by car

  • Plaka beach –accessible by car

  • Vivari beach –accessible by car

  • Kondyli beach –accessible by car

  • Kandia beach –accessible by car

  • Iria beach –accessible by car